Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review of Speech FlipBook by Tactus Therapy Solutions

I was so excited when Tactus Therapy Solutions announced the release of their new app, Speech Flipbook. Over the years, I have had many older students with apraxia or deficits in reading.  It was a challenge to find materials to use that were not for the younger population of children.  After being trained in PROMPT therapy, Lindamood-Bell, and enrolling in many other continuing education classes, I began to take a look at materials I had, and adapt them.  One way I adapted therapy materials was by cutting pictures into sections (for example, 3 sections for a CVC word) and having the students say each sound while pointing to the different parts of the picture.  I made puzzles with the words, one piece per sound, and I also used the index cards that were bound, and cut them, and added the sounds to the book, essentially making my own flip books.  So this app definitely peaked my interest!

Let's start from the beginning.
When you open the app, you can choose from the tabs at the bottom to select the sounds you want to address in your session.  The sounds you select are highlighted, the sounds you do not want to address are darkened.  In the picture below, I selected /l/ blends.  

I love how the sounds are organized! 


 It is easy to make your selections and begin working with your students.  As your students progress through the app, you can also edit the word list.  

After you choose your targeted sounds, you go back to the home screen and you can toggle between "sounds" and "words."  In "sounds," CVC words are presented.  You can flip by the initial, medial or final sounds.  It is like chaining in the Lindamood-Bell LiPS program.  For example, sl o p changes to fl o p, then to fl i p, then to fl i t, and so on, depending on which part of the word you flip.  There are no pictures, which is great for my older students and for students who are learning to read.  Children with motor problems also benefit from this, as they don't have a visual representation to remind them of their old motor patterns.  They have to say each sound slowly, which is so helpful for my students.  The sounds are also color-coded by position, making it easy to teach initial, medial, and final positions, as well as to cue your students in on which sound has changed.  My students also loved recording their productions as it provided immediate feedback about how they did.  

I would definitely recommend this app to anyone working with students who have apraxia, articulation/phonological delays, and reading deficits.  This app goes sraight to the top of my must-have speech apps!







No comments:

Post a Comment